Published: January 24, 2018
Elementary Statistics, Third Edition is a conceptual and procedural course in introductory statistics. It has been developed around three central themes: clarity, quality, and accuracy, based on extensive market research and feedback from statistics instructors across the country.
High-quality exercises, clear examples, author-created supplements, and fully integrated technology make this one of the more masterful elementary statistics courses available. The text and supplements are flexible enough to work effectively with a wide variety of instructor styles; for example, the text covers both P-value and critical value approaches to hypothesis testing. Improvements to this third edition include a new objective on the weighted mean, recent real data in new exercises and case studies, and a new supplement focused on prerequisite skills.Because statistics instructors universally agree that using real data better engages students, most examples and exercises in this text use real-life data; in fact, more than 750 actual applications of statistics appear within the book, and topics and their pages can be found in an index. Each section contains step-by-step instructions explaining how to use multiple forms of technology to carry out the procedures explained in the text.
Several pedagogical features enhance the instructor's and students' experiences:
• After each concept is explained, Check Your Understanding exercises determine whether students understand the material or need to review.
• Marginal Explain It Again notes reinforce important concepts.
• Write About It exercises require students to explain statistical concepts in their own words.
• Each chapter begins with a discussion of a real problem that is used in the end-of-chapter Case Study.
Author-provided supplements play an important role in the educational process:
• Editable PowerPoint presentations are broken down by learning objective, with multiple teaching styles incorporated into each series.
• Guided student notes provide instructors the framework of day-by-day class activities while students gain the framework of well-organized notes.
• Chapter-aligned technology manuals help students learn to use calculators, Minitab, and Excel.
• Short lecture videos introduce concepts, definitions, formulas, and problem-solving procedures.
• Exercise videos, close-captioned for the hearing-impaired, are assignable in ConnectMath.
• Manuals for calculators, Excel, and Minitab 17 provide additional text-specific practice. Data sets from selected exercises are prepopulated into Minitab, TI-Graph Link, Excel, SPSS, and comma-delimited ASCII formats.
McGraw-Hill provides enhanced access to the material in many ways:
• TestGen software includes built-in mathematical templates remove the need for a separate equation editor.
• The MegaStat statistical add-in appears as a menu item on the Excel menu bar and allows instructors to perform statistical analysis on data in an Excel workbook.
• SmartBook™ uses the LearnSmart engine to continuously adapt the material to ensure students are focused on the content they need most to close specific knowledge gaps.
• ConnectMath provides an intuitive platform for online homework that integrates with SmartBook.