Essentials of Contemporary Management
Published: January 05, 2018
Essentials of Contemporary Management, Eighth Edition, provides the most current account of changes taking place in the world of management and management practices while making the text relevant and interesting to students.
Management students often need help relating theories and concepts, such as diversity, sustainability, and globalization, to themselves and the business world. Our powerful Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business–accredited text and technology helps instructors hold students accountable for baseline knowledge so instructors can more readily bring concepts to life. Building Management Skills, Managing Ethically, Small Group Breakout Exercise, and Be the Manager features provide opportunities for students to apply their learning to realistic scenarios in which a manager or organization faces a challenge, problem, or opportunity.
Management Snapshots open each chapter by posing a related challenge and discussing how managers responded. Manager as a Person boxes focus on how real managers brought about change within their organizations. Small Business Examples ensure that students make clear connections between concepts and applications. End-of-chapter Management in Action questions and points for reflection ask students to research actual management issues and learn firsthand from practicing managers.
New to This Edition
• Chapter opening Management Snapshot cases with the boxed illustrations appear in each chapter, and new Case in the News closing cases reinforce updated content critically but succinctly.
• The authors bring management issues to life by writing from the perspective of current or future managers to illustrate the problems and opportunities they face and how they can effectively meet them.
• Chapters include pertinent new research concepts and eliminate outdated or marginal management concepts, streamlining the presentation and keeping the focus on changes that have had the greatest impact on managers and organizations.
• Manager's Hot Seat videos have been added to the previously available videos.
• The technology section has been updated to reflect current strategies that significantly affect managers' day-to-day activities.
McGraw-Hill smart learning tools begin with Connect, a highly reliable, easy-to-use homework and learning management solution. LearnSmart lets instructors measure student progress, comprehension, and retention and ensures instructors know which areas should be targeted. The ebook makes it easy for students to access reading material on smartphones and tables. SmartBook enables students to come to class with preassigned exposure and knowledge of key management theories and concepts and enables instructors to personalize content for each learner.
The instructor's manual saves instructors' time and supports them in delivering the most effective course. The manual provides chapter overviews and lectures outline with integrated PowerPoint slides, lecture enhancers, notes for end-of-chapter materials, video cases, and teaching notes.
Application Exercises help instructors assign quizzes, written and video cases, and other auto-graded exercises that challenge students to apply theories and concepts. iSeeIT videos offer contemporary, dynamic student-centered introductions, illustrations, and animations to guide students through challenging concepts. Research-based Self-Assessments promote student self-awareness, self-reflection, and personal and professional development. The test bank includes approximately 100 questions per chapter. The free ReadAnywhere app, downloadable on iOS and Android platforms, allows students to access their ebook anywhere on their smartphone or tablet.