Questions and Answers: A Guide to Fitness
Published: January 05, 2018
Questions and Answers: A Guide to Fitness and Wellness, Fourth Edition, is built on questions-real questions about real health and wellness issues collected from real students at both two- and four-year schools across the United States. In responding to these student inquiries, authors Gary Liguori and Sandra Carroll-Cobb combine the latest science-based knowledge with practical guidance on concrete actions students can take now to improve their fitness and wellness.
Questions and Answers takes an active-learning approach that includes the following features:
• Online video case studies follow real college students as they attempt to change their behavior. The cases prompt readers to apply lessons from these experiences to their own behavior-change goals. A series of lab activities provides tracking tools and self-assessment forms that can be completed in print or online.
• A results-centered pedagogy ensures that the content of each chapter works toward the larger goal of making students active participants in lifelong learning. Critical-thinking questions and calls to action prompt students to evaluate the content and connect it to their own experiences.
• New research-based coverage of the use of digital technology, including new Tech Tips in every chapter, helps students take advantage of apps and tech-based devices to reach their fitness and wellness goals.
• Updated chapters reflect current scientific thinking, data, and statistics from such authoritative sources as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The innovative question-and-answer format serves as the basis for a print and digital program that offers a rich set of personalized, adaptive, and mobile resources, including the following:
• Connect Fitness and Wellness gives students access to a wealth of video activities, online labs, critical-thinking exercises, and health assessments that help students become savvy consumers, skillful critical thinkers, and behavior-change experts.
• The Connect ebook enables students to access Questions and Answers anywhere, anytime and to manage notes, highlights, and bookmarks in one place for simple, comprehensive review. A new series of 16 inventory-type labs are available in a fully interactive format through Connect and complement the existing suite of fitness labs.
• Connect Fitness and Wellness helps students learn the course material more deeply and study more effectively than ever before. New assignable and assessable Concept Clips help students break down key concepts in fitness and wellness. Using easy-to-understand audio narration, visual cues, and colorful animations, Concept Clips provide a step-by-step presentation of topics that promote student retention and comprehension.
• Newsflash activities tie current news stories to key fitness and wellness concepts and learning objectives. After interacting with a contemporary news story, students are assessed on their ability to make connections between real-life events and course content.
• Connect Assignment banners are integrated throughout the narrative along with corresponding instructions to make it easier for instructors to identify and assign videos that correspond to chapter content.