Engaging Questions: A Guide to Writing 3e
Published: January 06, 2020
Engaging Questions, now in its third edition, emphasizes interaction and critical thinking, transforming passive learners into active learners empowered to ask their own questions and pursue those questions wherever they lead:
• In reading and thinking before writing, to interpret texts and assignments and to evaluate the credibility of sources.
• In planning and organizing, to investigate the writing situation, to find a topic, and to formulate a coherent thesis.
• In drafting, to consider choices of style, voice, and genre and question the effectiveness of the choices made.
• In revising and editing, to anticipate readers’ experience with the text and see where changes could make the text more readable and effective.
With a redesigned table of contents, this edition foregrounds instruction and assignments critical to the first-year writing course. Its inquiry-based approach provides the scaffold for comprehensive coverage organized around four key parts: Exploring Writing and Reading, Writing in the Aims, Researching Writing, and Writing in the Genres.
• Connect for Write Now 3e features three new powerful assignments:
o McGraw Hill's new Writing Assignment Plus with an automated grammar checker and plagiarism detection. The assignment is built from the ground up with accessibility in mind.
o Adaptive Learning Assignment provides a learning experience that adapts to the needs of each learner through ongoing, formative assessments, feedback, and learning resources. The assignment allows for more flexibility when assigning topics and was designed with accessibility in mind.
o SmartBook 2.0 has been updated with improved learning objectives to ensure that students gain foundational knowledge while also learning to make connections to help them formulate a broader understanding of concepts essential to writing well. SmartBook 2.0 personalizes learning to individual student needs, continually adapting to pinpoint knowledge gaps and focus learning on topics that need the most attention.
Engaging Questions is an appropriate title for Composition 1 or Composition 1 and 2 at both 2-year and open-enrollment 4-year schools. This text is written as a direct competitor to the market leader in composition, the Norton Field Guide 5e.